To-May-To, To-Mah-To
Tuesday, June 4, 2013 @ 7:12 PM
It all about definitions.
I always get struck by inspiration(if it may be considered as such)!
When I’m out and about or just RANDOM.
Anyways i will just put all of these into my reminder app and get to it.
As and when I am available or the mood kicks. So now, this post is about defining these words.
Client and customer.

Some like to say it is the same.
Some like to emphasize the difference.
Me? I used to think client sounds formal and customer sounds casual.
I would say I was right to a certain extent until I shifted, from serving customers.
To serving clients. Then I saw and experienced the difference.
So I just thought to bore you with a post on it hahas.
Here is the internet definitions:
(Google-lism ftw lols!!)
-
cli·ent
Noun
- A person or organization using the services of a lawyer or other professional person or company.
- A person receiving social or medical services.
-
cus·tom·er
Noun
- A person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or other business.
- A person or thing of a specified kind that one has to deal with: "a tough customer".
As you can see, I have underlined the key differences.
Client is someone you serve and you advise them, usually from someone of a professional capacity.
So you dont see doctors serving customers, they serve their patients, their clients as they offer advice.
Doctors go through training to tell you what you dont know and offer you solutions.
Customer is someone who comes and goes after purchasing products or services, like food vendors.
You dont really see them dishing you advice to add fishballs or to go for yellow noodles instead.
You come, you order, they prepare, they deliver, you pay and that’s it.
As I used to work around a few F&B settings, I was happy serving customers.
My advice extends to what I recommend them, based on feedback I have or personal experience.
The relationship we share starts from when they step in, to when they step out.
Now being a financial consultant, I realized the dynamics have changed drastically.
I know it may not appear as professional as a doctor but it is a fact we had to go through exams to get licensed.
And tons of product training to be practising and lots of practising to be able to anticipate needs.
For all you already know, people dont always say what they mean and vice versa.
A good consultant really LISTENS to what they are trying to say rather than what they are saying.
And as you meet more people, they all work different jobs, it is awesome to learn as much as you can.
So that the next time you meet someone with the same position, you can relate to them about their job etc.
And that is why my awesome manager is the wealth of experience he is today.
The relationship between a FC and client is such that so long as you do nothing wrong, they trust you.
They trust you enough to plan their finances with you and you are here to stay to advise them for all matters.
To be there for their life events like getting married, having a kid that sort of thing.
Its all part of emotional attachment anyways.
One of the reason I join is of course to be able to help in more than a way.
If I wasn’t working as an FC, the most I could do was to listen to your money troubles.
But now, I can suggest solutions, break down your expenses and see how to increase savings and decrease liabilities etc.
I know many people dislike insurance but it is more important than savings or investments as the young crowd is so in favour of.
Where else do you get a paper that pays you $1,000 for every $1 you put in when you need it the most?
Then again, this is why FCs exist, to remind you of that fact.
So far I have not seen any salesperson or hawker sit you down to understand your dietary needs before they sell you food lols.
So I guess, it is interesting how I have clients and am being a customer myself when I spend money.
But somehow I do get the feel that being called as a client makes people feel like “$ being earned off by consultant”.
Am I right in that assumption? Cause I used to feel that way hahas.
Being that the word client sounds so much more formal than customer to me.
Anyways, after all these rambling, will just leave you with a quote:
“Money is what you pay. Value is what you get. ~ Warren Buffett”
And value is definitely what I provide and am looking to better. ((: