What Will I Be?
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 @ 3:10 PM

Almost every night before sleeping and waking up the next day I ask myself…
What am I doing? What will I be doing tomorrow or later?
What am I working for?
In the past, during secondary school days, we thought work was tough.
Hearing from friends that F&B was one of the toughest job around, I went into it.
I worked in 6 or more types of F&B settings before.
It was exciting, people were fun loving, customers had their good and bad.
Best of all I loved the peak hour rush, knowing that I could beat it.
Went slow and chatted with them when it was off peak too.
Then it no longer held any more challenge for me (sort of).
So i went on to bigger things or things with more meaning.
Like teaching kids and marketing related stuffs as it was what I loved.
Teaching kids was fun and taught me a lot of patience. It’s rather amazing.
The way we would not put their wrongs to heart as “they are still innocent and ignorant.”
Unlike when we handle adults because they are supposed to know what they are doing.
You see them fall and cry, then smile when they manage to stand.
Something we hardly accomplish as we adults fall.
The more things we learn, the more we expect of ourselves and the harder we are on ourselves when we fall.
No one can understand what you go through, not even your closest friends nor colleagues.
They may be in the same job but they see things differently.
So far I have not met a friend who has not been led by their own stereotype of this industry.
Since starting this job, I had a lot of unhappiness, as well as personal growth.
Insurance, savings, investments, on its own is never a mistake.
Whoever does financial planning ends up more successful and accounted for than people without.
Also one of the reasons why the rich get richer, because they know how to make their money grow.
I do see many bad consultants who mislead and harm people just to earn commission.
I am ashamed to be in the same business as them. Regardless, I am learning to alienate from generalizations.
Some things people say…

For example,
People who know me will know I am chatty by nature. Which I have learned to tone down these years anyways.
I am a people person and I like to talk to people. I also stereotype but I give people chances to prove me wrong.
Once they seem different from what they seem to be, I renew my feel and opinion of them unlike some closed minded people I know of.
I get people saying “Of course she is friendly, she is an insurance agent”.
The first thought that comes to my mind was “I was friendly even before that, wth are you talking about”.
Together with other degrading statements like Im selling gouyo (膏药) etc.
I asked my manager, how to be less upset by all these personal attacks.
He said: “You have to understand that some people say things without thinking”.
You can adjust your mind-set to understand that people like you and me join and thrive in this industry.
Simply because we like talking to people and sharing knowledge so this job suits us. There’s nothing wrong.
Be the more mature individual to let it slide. The fact that they said that statement shows how immature they are to judge like that.
So the next time someone says that don’t take it to heart, focus on being proud as a friendly individual.
Some things for you to think about…

Does your work help people receive money when they can no longer work?
Does your job enable a loved one to rest in peace and family to grief in peace?
Does your job help people to have peace of mind for retirement or kids education?
Do you know how much hospital bills can cost up to?
Do you know how much funerals cost nowadays?
Do you know how much is needed to fund an education or to retire?
If you do, congrats as it is good for you. If you dont, do yourself a favour.
Be open minded and start planning. Minimally, stop degrading consultants.
They are doing something that you can never do or am prepared to do.
We seem to be earning a lot without putting in a lot of effort to some.
It’s because it’s our professionalism to make things idiot proof and simple for you all.
Not that we have not had much research and paperwork behind the scenes.
己所不欲,勿施于人。 做人要将心比心。 Never do things to others than you would not like to be done unto yourself.
Will it make you happier by degrading others? I may be in the sales line now but that does not make me less of a human.
End of the day, it is a meaningful business that I am in.
Seeing everything in a new light…

If you ask me today, I have realized that sales is the toughest line to be in, physically and mentally.
You need to have hard and soft skills. People listen to knowledgeable and successful people.
A lot of research, training, practise, learning to be done. Never-ending reflections, self improvements etc.
Sales also comprises of marketing elements and more.
That was one of the reasons I was hesitant to leave marketing for sales.
Now, it’s all about making things work because people judge by your successes and not your journey.
People say they lose friends when they join this industry.
And I did, but it was good as only the real ones stayed. (:
Crystal clear.
Will You Happen to Know…?

You are the only one who will know about your journey.
Seeing as how things go, not even my closest friends are really supportive.
Sad but real, sometimes I also wonder, am I strong or am I weak hahas.
I ever had someone tell me “actually you act strong but i think you are not.”
I also had someone tell me “actually you know, you are a emotionally strong individual.”
Actually I’m pretty confused myself too.
I bear a lot of expectations and obligational burdens on myself.
Projects, things, I push through. But my emotions get affected easily.
I cry for people in movies, stories etc. but I just cant help feeling for them you know. Lols.
Life is one whole mystery on its own ehs.
This year is really a rollercoaster year. Sighs.
Heard of another 6 year RS down the drain. Sucks ehs.
Seriously looking forward to May & August cause…
I was forecasted to be in luck then! hahas.
I will be patiently waiting and working towards it… ((: